Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'd like to thank the Academy...

I wanted to write about something deep...
like the Atlantic Ocean... (thanks Farley 2A)

But seriously folks, I'd like to start off with a quote from the movie The Prestige:

"The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces..."

This is true.  The audience does know the truth.  In fact the audience knows more than the truth.  The audience can read your mind.

One of my many directors told me this back in high school.  He told me that I could be acting my heart out on stage but if I wasn't committed both physically and mentally to the role, the audience would see right through me.

This is spot on because herein lies the difference between a good actor and a great actor.  An actor can play a role and still do a fine job portraying a character and not be fully devoted to the project.  But, those actors that fully devote themselves to a role are the ones that blow your mind.

So with that in mind... I give you some of my Oscar picks
(I have not seen every movie but I still think it will be fun to see if I'm right...)



Visual effects: Inception
I mean, what a cool way to depict dreams...

Music (Original Song): Tangled (I See the Light)
Just because I love this movie.  One of my favorite animated movies ever.

Film Editing: Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter for The Social Network 
I think this was the best edited movie.  It was captivating.

Directing: David Fincher for The Social Network
99 takes for the first scene (which was 8 pages long) just goes to show you that this guy won't settle for less than perfection.

Costume Design: True Grit
Just because I love Western movies.

Cinematography: Wally Pfister for Inception
It's about time for Wally to win one.

Animated Feature Film: Toy Story 3
Duh…

Actress in a Supporting Role: Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit 
I absolutely loved her in this role.  She was rough and tough and I believed in this character and wanted her to get her revenge.

Actress in a Leading Role: Natalie Portman in Black Swan
I still haven't seen it but I trust everyone that has told me how great she was.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale in The Fighter
I haven't seen this movie but, come on, it's Christian Bale...

Actor in a Leading Role: Colin Firth in The King's Speech
I haven't seen this one either but I really want to.  I pick Colin Firth for a few reasons: he is too good of an actor to not have an Oscar, I have loved him in every movie that I have seen with him, and it is his time to shine.

Best Picture: True Grit
I love Westerns, I love the Coen brothers, I love Jeff Bridges and it is about time for a Western to win an Oscar.


Those are my picks...
It is true that I have a biased opinion.  It is also true that I do not have an informed opinion because I haven't seen all the movies that are nominated.  But I've done my best to put down my picks.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll get a few right...

Rest of my picks:  
ART DIRECTION - Inception 
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE - Inside Job  
DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT - Poster Girl  
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM - Biutiful  
MAKEUP - Barney's Version  
MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) - The Social Network  
SHORT FILM (ANIMATED) - The Lost Thing  
SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION) - God of Love  
SOUND EDITING - Toy Story 3  
SOUND MIXING - The King's Speech  
WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY) - 127 Hours  
WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY) - The King's Speech

No comments:

Post a Comment